Tuesday, 24 July 2012

French Football and Sexy Sarah Cracknell...

Saint Etienne had not only one of the coolest band names of all time, taken as it was from the team that gave us Michel Platini amongst others. Their Indie/Club fusion in the 1990s was unique, innovative and, well, fucking brilliant.

Here's a live performance of my favourite Saint Etienne tune, 'You're in a Bad Way' on that immensely 'hip and with it' television programme, the Word in 1993.


Am I alone in wishing she 'had some plans' for me? Take care and I'll catch you soon...

6 comments:

  1. As an 80s kid growing up with Blondie, Talking Heads, PSB, The Police, The Models, INXS, The Cars, The Chameleons, The Church, Flock of Seagulls, Gary Numan, Kraftwerk, The Psychedelic Furs, Soft Cell and Sparks, the early 90s was a fetid barrel of piss. The offering that you served up sits well along such luminaries as flowered up, carter usm and the fucking mock turtles. St Etienne's only good track was a Neil Young cover. You have polluted my ears and reminded me of dark times - shame on you. I can see the appeal of Ms Cracknell - a bi-pedal Heather Mills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harsh words!!

    I'd agree that the 80s beats the 90s for non-mainstream music. Very much doubt we'll ever get to that level again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fetid barrel of piss? Didn't they just re-form and tour the States?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi TC - thanks for posting as ever.

    Though I think Saint Etienne were a very good band, pointing to commercial success as evidence of it is going somewhat down the track. The Spice Girls reformed, after all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Daz, I thought they were ok. I like the Stone Roses and the Happy Monday myself-but each to their own mate :-)

      Delete
  5. You can't please everyone. I love this track, and there was plenty of good music around in the early nineties, as far as I remember ... memory's a bit hazy, though.

    ReplyDelete