Sunday, 13 May 2012

Am I Principled, or just a Contrary Bastard?

Everyone likes to believe that they have principles, a set of ideals that drives their every action and is applied consistently in their everyday lives. Of course, we're all deeply flawed human beings, prone as we are to sacrificing our stated beliefs for a much-needed pound note or whatever else. It's often been said that principles are a wonderful thing, as long as you can afford them. In the real world of soaring bills and declining living standards, it would be churlish to condemn anybody for not being sufficiently 'pure' in this sense.

But here's something that I can definitely pull off without any difficulties. On Tuesday 5th June, we've been offered the luxury of a day's paid leave to 'celebrate' Lizzy's golden jubilee. Now I've got a serious bee in my bonnet about the concept of royalty as regular readers of this site will know. I'm a great believer in hard work (even if the style within those long hours is that of efficient laziness) and that what individuals get out of life should reflect the effort and skill that they put in. Entrenched privelege helps absolutely nobody, not even those who benefit from it in the shallow sense.

The monarchy is a throwback to the middle ages as far as I'm concerned. It presents no benefits of note and those pushed by its supporters are invariably contradicted by reality. We're told that an 'apolitical monarchy' is a good thing, but Charles is constantly poking his nose into issues of the day that officially should not be his concern. Members of the Windsor clan have made considerable monies from 'business ventures' that were only possible because of their name recognition. Either live in the real world, or hide behind your titles playing Kings and Princes. Don't insult my intelligence by straddling both sides of the fence - by the way, if you want to go into business and be free to fail, then good luck.

So in my heart of hearts, I know that a day off work to mark an institution that I regard as a fraud is not one I should take. Earlier this year, I spent many Saturday mornings of my own volition, punching in data to satisfy the auditors. There is still some left and I'm quite happy to use my 'day off' to carry on with the project - I know that someone, somewhere will appreciate it. Last year's royal wedding day saw me switch the TV off, draw the curtains and record a re-mastered edition of an old song called 'Get the Measure'. This was after turning up at my place of work to find the place padlocked and then being told to leave by security.

I'm available for work again, and if anyone wants to offer something that can generate a bit of extra income for myself then I'm listening. You can email me directly at darren.pearce@googlemail.com - however, something that has occurred to this bunny though is this:- having turned 30 earlier this year, have I not got bigger battles to fight than refusing a day off given by a fraudulent and archaic throwback? Having never thought I'd ask this question, it's an uncomfortable one to ask:- am I just an awkward, difficult, contrary and miserable bastard?

1 comment:

  1. An object or service is not worth how much work you put into it.
    It is worth the amount that someone is willing to pay for it.

    ReplyDelete